According to the American Red Cross, someone in the U.S. needs blood every 2 seconds1 If you’ve ever donated blood, then you know the incredible feeling that you are helping save lives. If you have never had the opportunity to give blood, here are 10 reasons you should:
- You can save up to 3 lives!
- Not everyone is eligible to donate blood. Only 38% of the population can donate, so if you are able, you are a selected minority.
- Your body will make new blood. It takes about 24 hours to replace plasma and about 4-6 weeks to replace red blood cells. Consider it a tune-up for your body.
- Giving blood is not painful. You may feel a slight prick initially but it doesn’t last long.
- Donating blood burns calories! Your body will burn approximately 650 calories just by donating.
- You get a free well-check. Before you give, a nurse will check your blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and hemoglobin levels. You may also be screened for HIV, Hepatitis, and other diseases.
- It takes only one hour of your time.
- You’ll feel a boost in confidence and your emotional well-being knowing that you have done a good deed and are a part of saving lives.
- There is no substitute for human blood. Blood cannot be manufactured in any way and it is always in high demand.
- You may be one of the 25% of people who need blood donation one day.
Donating blood can help save the lives of people of all ages. Hospitals use blood donations for accident victims, organ transplant and surgery patients, and those with illnesses such as cancer. If you are considering giving blood, don’t wait any longer. There is nothing more empowering than knowing that you have the power to save lives!
At North Central Surgical Center, our mission is to treat each and every one of our patients and their families as if they were our own family members. Each patient, each family, each and every time.