Exercising together is a great way to spend quality time with your family. So why not use the holidays as an opportunity to get closer to your fitness goals&your family?Here are 7 ways to exercise as a family:
- Shift the Focus from Food to Fun Physical Activities. The holidays don’t have to be centered around good food & drinkalone. Depending on where you plan to spend the holidays,skiing, skating, runningor bikingare good examples of activities that can be fun for the entire family.
- Dance Your Way to Fitness. Dancing is an aerobic activity much like running or biking. It improves cardiovascular fitness and it’s a low impact making it a good activity for all ages.
- Beautify Your Garden. Research shows that gardening helps improve bone density and prevents risk of osteoporosis. As an extra health bonus, getting your kids to help you plant vegetables may make eating them more appetizing.
- Turn TV Commercial Breaks into ExerciseBreaks. Make a game of challenging each other to do afew sets of body weight exercises such as pushups, sit ups, and squats while watching your favorite TVprograms.These mini workouts can make a big improvement in overall fitness.
- PlayTeam Sports. Team sports for the entire family include touch football,volleyball,soccer,and pickleball. Having fun by playing teamsportstogether can createholiday memories for years to come.
- Explore New Places on Foot. When visiting a new city or country for the holidays, try to walk as much as you can. Besides the obvious health benefits of walking, it can have a very relaxing and calming effect.
- Run for Charity Events. Team up with your family to train for and participate in fundraising runs for a good cause. Such activities teach kids the importance of giving back to society in addition to improving their health.
At North Central Surgical Center, our mission is to treat each and every one of our patients, and their families, as if they were our own family member. Each patient, each family, each and every time.